The 2024 Gala Art Auction Exhibition is open. Come by to check out the works and bid on your favorite pieces.

History — 1950s

1950

The Board of Directors appoints Alfred Goodwin as Chairman of Exhibitions for the Art Barn. Artist V. Doug Snow later explains that, “Goodwin was very much in touch with the times, extremely articulate, and collaborated beautifully with artists. He played a big, big role…”

Art Barn begins collecting artwork, “with special emphasis upon painting of unusual contemporary interest.”

1953

Remodeling and expansion of the Art Barn building on Finch Lane begins.

1955

Following the building’s expansion, the Art Barn’s curatorially focus shifts to architectural exhibitions. Throughout the decade, shows include American Institute of Architects (1955); Architectural: University of Utah School of Architecture (1956); Geometry of Creation (1959); and Architectural Review (1960).

1958

To further clarify the mission outside the definition of the building itself, the Art Barn changes its name to the Salt Lake Art Center (SLAC).

1959

Armed with a new name and clear mission, the Board seeks to shift from a volunteer-led organization, to one with hired staff.